from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A small implement for polishing the finger-nails.
  • noun In glass manufacturing, an implement, consisting of a smooth block of wood with a rod of iron for a handle, used for flattening sheet-glass while hot on the polishingstone. Also called flattener.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A polishing or grinding implement or instrument.
  • noun (Glass Making) A tool consisting of a flat wooden block with a long iron handle, used for flattening out split cylinders of blown glass.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word polissoir.


  • The moment it was fairly open the flattener took his polissoir, a rod of iron with a block of wood at one end, and began smoothing out the uneven sheet of glass into a flat surface.

    The Story of Glass

  • 'Let us attend to the culture of our nails,' replied Amanda, producing her _polissoir_, powder, and knife.

    Shawl-Straps A Second Series of Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.