from The Century Dictionary.
- Having or appearing to have many stomachs. as an animalcule; specifically, of or pertaining to the Polygastrica.
- noun A polygastric animalcule.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) One of the Polygastrica.
- adjective (Anat.) Having several bellies; -- applied to muscles which are made up of several bellies separated by short tendons.
- adjective (Zoöl.), obsolete Pertaining to the Polygastrica.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective anatomy Having several
bellies; -- applied to muscleswhich are made up of several bellies separated by short tendons.
- adjective zoology Pertaining to the Polygastrica.
- noun zoology Any polygastric creature.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In the oceanic depths, far exceeding the height of our loftiest mountain chains, every stratum of water is animated with polygastric sea-worms, Cyclidiae and Ophrydinae.
African shore, contains the remains of eighteen species of silicious-shelled polygastric animalcules.
No mere organic cell, destined for ulterior changes in a living organization, has a mouth armed with teeth, or provided with long tentacula; I will not lay stress on the alimentary canal and appended stomachs, which many still regard as 'sub judice'; but the endowment of distinct organs of generation, for propagating their kind by fertile ova, raises the polygastric infusoria much above the mere organic cell. "-- pp. 25, 26.