from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Producing many offspring in a single birth.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Producing many or several at a birth; multiparous. Also polytokous, polyparous.
- In botany, fruiting year after year, as perennials: a term proposed by Gray in place of De Candolle's polycarpous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Bot.) Bearing fruit repeatedly, as most perennial plants; polycarpic.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Producing many or young.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective biology Giving birth to multiple
offspringat the same time; multiparous
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Greek polutokos, bearing many offspring : polu-, poly- + tokos, offspring, birth; see tek- in Indo-European roots.]
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word polytocous.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.