from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun Milit., a flying-bridge; a kind of bridge used in sieges for surprising a fort or outwork that has but a narrow moat.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Mil.) A kind of light bridge, used in sieges, for surprising a post or outwork which has but a narrow moat; a flying bridge.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word pontvolant.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.