from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Emerging quickly from a recessed or concealed position when activated: pop-up gun emplacements.
- adj. Rising to form a three-dimensional structure when a page is opened: pop-up illustrations in a children's book.
- n. A device or illustration that pops up.
- n. Baseball See pop fly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. coming into view suddenly from a concealed position
- adj. opening out to form a three-dimensional structure when the page of a book is opened
- n. Something that pops up.
- n. A pop-up advertisement; an advertisement that is triggered to appear on a computer screen when an internet user accesses a particular web page.
- n. A ball that has been hit to a considerable height above the infield or the shallow outfield; a pop fly.
- n. A temporary restaurant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short high fly ball
- n. a book (usually for children) that contains one or more pages such that a three-dimensional structure rises up when a page is opened
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A long-term pop-up, this store will be open for a year, featuring products from SLVR and Y-3, and adidas Originals' BLUE and Consortium.
Toyota showed what is called a pop-up hood, which rises slightly in a crash, to mitigate the impact of a pedestrian getting hit by a car, similar to features offered by European makers.
We have what is called a pop-up camper, although it doesn’t pop up.
The corporation has announced plans for a so-called "pop-up" digital radio station, BBC 5 Live Olympics Extra, to broadcast for about 20 days during the London games next year.
Halfords, the retailer, has reported a 24 per cent increase in the number so-called pop-up tents that it has sold in recent weeks as parents have looked to save money.
The so-called pop-up shop, which opened last Wednesday, is tucked inside a large outlet of the PC World chain on London's Tottenham Court Road, famed for teeming with electronics stores.
This is a super-size pop-up card, the type you can buy in various designs for birthday greetings.
What tamed that trend the most was incorporating pop-up blocker management where it belonged -- a simple setting in everyone's web browser.
Do you remember when web advertisers appeared to compete to see who could deploy the most annoying pop-up ad?
For starters, besides an error from David Wright and a misplayed pop-up in shallow center field, the defense has been spectacular over the first three games.