from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pyxis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seed capsule in the form of a box, the seeds being released when the top splits off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pod which divides circularly into an upper and lower half, of which the former acts as a kind of lid, as in the pimpernel and purslane.
- n. The theca of mosses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, same as pyxis, 9.
- n. [capitalized] In zoology, a genus of Vorticellinidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fruit of such plants as the plantain; a capsule whose upper part falls off when the seeds are released
New Latin, from Greek puxidion, diminutive of puxis, box.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)