from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several vascular, spore-bearing, aquatic or marsh plants of the genus Isoetes having short rhizomes and quill-like leaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various simple microphyllous vascular plants, of the family Isoetaceae, that resemble rushes and produce spores.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any plant or species of the genus Isoetes, cryptogamous plants with a cluster of elongated four-tubed rushlike leaves, rising from a corm, and containing spores in their enlarged and excavated bases. There are about seventeen American species, usually growing in the mud under still, shallow water. So called from the shape of the shape of the leaves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant, Isoëtcs lacustris: so called from the quill-like leaves; also, any plant of the genus Isoëles. See lsoëtes and Merlin's-grass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several spore-bearing aquatic or marsh plants having short rhizomes and leaves resembling quills; worldwide except Polynesia
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Botanists are not yet quite certain about the seed-cases of this tree, but Mr. Carruthers believes that they grew inside the base of the leaves, as they do in the quillwort, a small plant which grows at the bottom of our mountain lakes.
Coastal plant life abounds: rock samphire, greater sea spurrey, rare ferns like the primitive quillwort, and multiple strange and beautiful lichens unseen on the continent.
African yam and an ancient quillwort from a small rockpool in Namaqualand are among the 250 new plant species discovered internationally by botanists
Cape Town - An unusual metre-high South African yam and an ancient quillwort from a small rock pool in Namaqualand are among the 250 new plant species discovered internationally by botanists from the renowned Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew this year.