from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A small instrument for drawing warp-threads through the splits or dents of a reed.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word reed-hook.


  • Hand-drawn-in warps require two operatives: (i) a ‘drawer-in’ sitting in front of the frame, selecting the healds in drafting order and drawing the ends through the eyes with a reed-hook and (ii) the ‘reacher-in’, working from behind the frame, selecting the warp threads in order from the beam, and presenting them to the reed-hook held by the drawer-in.

    Chapter 6

  • This is done with a wire hook called a sley-hook or reed-hook.

    Home Life in Colonial Days


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.