from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic of being restive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being restive, in any sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the anxious feeling you have when you have the jitters
- n. characterized by nervousness and quickness to take fright
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"And Allison Clyde," she finished her announcement: "but you won't mind her," she added, recalling the restiveness of the present generation under boredom.
Certainly one senses in the book's implied author, as well as in its heroine, a disillusionment with the value our culture attributes to literature, a strong feeling that, in Marianne Moore's words, "there are things that are important beyond all this fiddle," and a kind of restiveness at being regarded as "a writer of world importance."
You mentioned there's a kind of restiveness that was apparent by the time you were named acting President.
Kingsley Bangwell, Founder of Youngstars Foundation International and an Ashoka Fellow, spoke passionately about the role of youth in fighting corruption and "restiveness" in the Niger-Delta.
That has been the manner of his going, although, of course, he was driven on by restiveness and lust for booty.
He was slimly built but had a coiled restiveness about him, like a spring waiting to stretch.
* Patriot Act failure a sign of restiveness within GOP ranks: Paul Kane and Felicia Sonmez have the overview of yesterday's defeat of the extension of key Patriot Act provisions, which reveals a "sizable resistance to compromise" from Tea Party freshmen and other House conservatives.
Such restiveness among conservatives also portends a volatile and unpredictable nomination race as Republicans with similar policy positions try to convince skeptics they alone can unite a cultural, economic and security-focused right - and win.
It is a distinct and undesirable possibility that the intensifying sectarian Sunni-Alawite confrontation in areas adjacent to the Syrian-Turkish border could lead to a movement of Alawite refugees to Turkey, and an ensuing restiveness among the Alawites there.
Morale among a first-team squad that has not been paid since December is as low as the club's League One position and if restiveness should lead to revolt then even Saturday's fixture against Colchester United could be in jeopardy.