from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Botany Rolled backward from the tip or margins to the undersurface: a revolute leaf.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Rolled or recurved on itself.
  • adj. Having the edges rolled with the abaxial side outward.
  • v. to roll back, curve upwards
  • v. to participate in or incite a revolution or revolt

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Rolled backward or downward.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Rolled or curled backward or downward; rolled back, as the tips or margins of some leaves, fronds, etc.; in vernation and estivation, rolled backward from both the sides. See also cuts under Nothochlæna, Pteris, and Rafflesia.
  • To revolve.
  • n. The solid geometrical figure generated by the revolution of a plane figure about a straight line in its plane as axis.


Latin revolūtus, past participle of revolvere, to roll back; see revolve.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin revolūtus, perfect passive participle of revolvō ("roll back"). (Wiktionary)
Back-formation from revolution. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.