from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A heavy fabric used to cover a floor.
- n. An animal skin used as a floor covering.
- n. Chiefly British A piece of thick, warm fabric or fur used as a coverlet or lap robe.
- n. Slang A toupee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A partial covering for a floor.
- n. A (usually thick) piece of fabric used for warmth (especially on a bed); a blanket.
- n. A wig; a hairpiece.
- v. To pull roughly or hastily; to plunder; to spoil; to tear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of coarse, heavy frieze, formerly used for garments.
- n. A piece of thick, nappy fabric, commonly made of wool, -- used for various purposes, as for covering and ornamenting part of a bare floor, for hanging in a doorway as a potière, for protecting a portion of carpet, for a wrap to protect the legs from cold, etc.
- n. A rough, woolly, or shaggy dog.
- transitive v. To pull roughly or hastily; to plunder; to spoil; to tear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pull roughly or hastily; tear; tug.
- Snug; warm.
- n. A rough, heavy woolen fabric; a kind of coarse, nappy frieze, used especially for the garments of the poorer classes.
- n. A thick, heavy covering, ordinarily woolen, and having a shaggy nap; a piece of thick nappy material used for various purposes.
- n. A covering for the floor; a mat, usually oblong or square, and woven in one piece. Rugs, especially those of Oriental make, often show rich designs and elaborate workmanship, and are hence sometimes used for hangings.
- n. A lap-robe; a thick shawl or covering used in driving, traveling, etc., as a protection against the cold.
- n. A rough, woolly, or shaggy dog.
- n. A kind of strong liquor or drink.
- n. A rough or hasty pull; a tug.
- n. Another form of rig, a dialectal variant of ridge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. floor covering consisting of a piece of thick heavy fabric (usually with nap or pile)
The mushy piles it leaves on the rug is another subject though …
It's that spoiled man-boy's fault, his rug is actually an alien controlling his thoughts. nt jayburd
In the past if you have a real bear skin rug this would be a symbol of luxury and wealth, and this rubber rug can be a cheap replacement for an original bear skin rug, that is quite expensive.
A pad, sometimes called a cushion, under the rug is a good idea, because it slows the wear of the carpet and is smart for safety reasons -- a padded rug won't slide around on hardwood or tile floors.
Negative: Said area rug is a flattened piece of discarded cardboard.
Robert's Bobby Kennedy understands that the anguish suffered by a single child who watches a puppy get beaten to death for pissing on a rug is the same anguish suffered by a sick person forced to choose between medicine or groceries, the same anguish suffered by an immigrant forced to work seventy-hour weeks under the looming threat of deportation.
My mother told me too that you should never talk about religion but in the case of these poisonous missionaries in all of southern Mexico and Central America, I think that hiding this disgrace under the rug is a very bad idea.
Aristocratic collectors have long acquired the rugs created in Persian-rug workshops, but Caucasian rugs made by tribal groups have steadily gained favor with collectors since the 1960s, particularly in America, Italy and Germany.
I nodded to indicate the labelled rug placed centrally on the floor.
Just as we go to air tonight, the block cordoned off by FBI and local police as they descend onto the home of the baby ` s biological dad with a warrant for the "rug" -- that ` s the 2-year-old talking about the comforter off his mom ` s bed -- and for Jessie ` s missing cell phone, Jessie just weeks from delivering a baby girl, already named Chloe.