from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having one end sawed off: a sawed-off shotgun.
- adj. Slang Short; runty.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shortened by sawing.
- adj. Short (as though something that should be there isn't).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. well below average height
- adj. cut short
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Not the saccharine Disney versions, but the unexpurgated Grimms, with their sawed-off heels and lopped-off heads and altogether dark and nasty vision.
Like the monster in the horror movies, you can lock all the doors, barricade all the windows, grab a sawed-off shotgun and hide in the basement.
In the case of federal laws, since a 1939 case involving sawed-off shotguns, United States v. Miller, the courts have held that the Second Amendment only confers a collective right to keep and bear arms, which must have a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia."
Schwarzenegger called Nunez's sentence "excessive" because he received the same sentence as Ryan Jett, who was already on felony probation for possessing a sawed-off shotgun, and who actually stabbed Santos.
– In Miller, the Court ruled that a sawed-off shotgun was not covered by the 2nd Amendment because it was not a military weapon.
In Miller, the Court ruled that a sawed-off shotgun was not covered by the 2nd Amendment because it was not a military weapon.
BMWTwisty says: cboldt: – In Miller, the Court ruled that a sawed-off shotgun was not covered by the 2nd Amendment because it was not a military weapon.
It's just another restriction tacked on to the National Firearms Act of 1934, which didn't ban ownership but required the registration of submachineguns and sawed-off shotguns.
Loaded with two slugs and a round bullet, its effect was that of a sawed-off shotgun.
- Mexico problem back in 1848 when the white supremacists who ran it took half their territory and left them with a sawed-off country doomed to eternal subsistence agriculture, mindless of the future.