from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Nautical A drag, usually a canvas-covered conical frame, floating behind a vessel to prevent drifting or to maintain a heading into the wind. Also called drogue.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A parachute-like device designed to slow down the speed of a drifting ship or boat.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • See Drag sail, under 4th drag.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The anchor lying toward the sea when a ship is moored.
  • n. A floating anchor used at sea in a gale to keep the ship's head to the wind: same as dragsheet. Also called drift-anchor.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. restraint consisting of a canvas covered frame that floats behind a vessel; prevents drifting or maintains the heading into a wind


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Captain Hayrn's feet thumped the deck as he headed aft for the sea anchor crank.

    Father Swarat

  • Hayrn tied the old sea anchor rope to a rock in a shallow lagoon, and we left the Flying Lobster behind when we set off to look for the inhabitants.

    Father Swarat


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.