self-fertilised love



from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adjective fertilized by its own pollen


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word self-fertilised.


  • Perhaps there had been, once, when the air was thick enough to support insects, but now most of the Martian plant-life was self-fertilised.

    The Sands of Mars Clarke, Arthur C. 1951

  • Now Henslow, in his “Floral Structures,” [18] adopts the same theory for all the wind-fertilised or self-fertilised flowers, and he tells me that he is alone in the view.

    Alfred Russel Wallace Letters and Reminiscences Marchant, James 1916

  • And thus, the strange fact of an increase of fertility in the successive generations of artificially fertilised hybrids, in contrast with those spontaneously self-fertilised, may, as I believe, be accounted for by too close interbreeding having been avoided.

    IX. Hybridism. Distinction between the Sterility of First Crosses and of Hybrids 1909

  • When propagated from self-fertilised seed it produced about 95 per cent. of offspring with the same characters, and the remaining 5 per cent. mutants, one of which was _laevifolia_ which had been found by De Vries among plants growing wild at Hilversum.

    Hormones and Heredity J. T. Cunningham 1897

  • Besides these pairs of competitors, others were planted in beds, so that the descendants of the crossed and self-fertilised flowers might compete.

    Life of Charles Darwin 1870

  • But, as Darwin remarks, profuse expenditure is nothing unusual in nature, and it appears to be more profitable for a plant to yield a few cross-fertilised than many self-fertilised seeds.

    Life of Charles Darwin 1870

  • This is the case with the garden-pea, and also with our beautiful bee-orchis, in which the pollen-masses constantly fall on to the stigmas, and the flower, being thus self-fertilised, produces abundance of capsules and of seed.

    Darwinism (1889) Alfred Russel Wallace 1868

  • When garden-peas were artificially cross-fertilised by Mr. Darwin, it seemed to do them no good, as the seeds from these crosses produced less vigorous plants than seed from those which were self-fertilised; a fact directly opposed to what usually occurs in cross-fertilised plants.

    Darwinism (1889) Alfred Russel Wallace 1868

  • Verbascum, fertilised by flies and bees, but also self-fertilised;

    Darwinism (1889) Alfred Russel Wallace 1868

  • As opposed to the theory that there is any absolute need for cross-fertilisation, it has been urged by Mr. Henslow and others that many self-fertilised plants are exceptionally vigorous, such as groundsel, chickweed, sow-thistle, buttercups, and other common weeds; while most plants of world-wide distribution are self-fertilised, and these have proved themselves to be best fitted to survive in the battle of life.

    Darwinism (1889) Alfred Russel Wallace 1868


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.