from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being selfish, the condition of putting one's own interests before those of others
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being selfish; exclusive regard to one's own interest or happiness; that supreme self-love or self-preference which leads a person to direct his purposes to the advancement of his own interest, power, or happiness, without regarding those of others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Selfish character, disposition, or conduct; exclusive or chief regard for one's own interest or happiness.
- n. Synonyms Selfishness, Self-love. See the quotations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stinginess resulting from a concern for your own welfare and a disregard of others
The latter part of his system is clearly countenanced by the sacred writings; and it does appear to be a stretch of language, to apply the term selfishness to the longing which the sincere Christian feels for the full enjoyment of God.
It is what I call selfishness, and selfishness is a most detestable thing, especially to any one of my temperament, for I am well known for my sympathetic nature.
When a man forbids his wife to marry again without losing what he leaves -- it's what I call selfishness after death.
Saying that the losing over the course of the year led to "a corrupt mindset within the locker room," McElroy said the team indeed had Super Bowl talent but scuttled it away in the name of selfishness.
You may have missed it, but the party of selfishness is now in the deep, deep minority in this country.
The ignorance, arrogance, and selfishness is simply amazing.
But today's Republicans are a nihilistic pack who would turn against everything their predecessors believed in, in the name of selfishness and greed.
Worse, her entire output can be summed up in the three words: “selfishness is good.” wiley says:
You call it selfishness I call it individualism, and individualism is what made this country great.
If that was the case, individuals would understand that cooperation, not selfishness is an asset.