from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Wealthy; aristocratic: a silk-stocking district; silk-stocking prep schools.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Wearing silk stockings (which among men were formerly worn chiefly by the luxurious or aristocratic); hence, elegantly dressed; aristocratic; luxurious; -- chiefly applied to men, often by way of reproach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who wears silk stockings; hence, a person of luxurious habits.
- n. One of the well-to-do or ‘aristocratic’ members of the community or of a party: applied particularly to certain members of the Whig party in the United States in the second quarter of the nineteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. women's stockings made from a sheer material (nylon or rayon or silk)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Lunch menu €58; tasting menus €80, €120 and €150; à la carte €90Since most of Paris's storied brasseries are now owned by corporate chains and serve wiltingly mediocre food, it's a pleasure to head to one of the last remaining independent ones in a quiet corner of the silk-stocking 16th arrondissement for a fine feed of such well-prepared French classics as onion soup, escargots, sole meunière, steak tartare, roast lamb and other Gallic standards.
Allen, who had grudgingly admitted to being the “silk-stocking” candidate in contrast to the rest of the field, was taunted by his own self-description.
If you're a fan of bona fide silk-stocking luxury hotels, the Mandarin is a superb new option.www. mandarinoriental.com
If Clancy is correct that a silk-stocking contingent from St. Charles Ave did in fact stroke Bernazzani, my initial reaction is: Why don't they like the thought of Arnie Fielkow for mayor?
On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit that they had not really used their bailout money the way they promised they would.
On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit tha ... digg
On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit tha ...
You mean some kind of silk-stocking naughty-nurses grindhouse thang?
The silk-stocking crowd living in their Uptown mansions on a private street are suddenly concerned about the "process" of property assessments.
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, the Democrat from silk-stocking Manhattan, wants to tax it all -- at 100%.