from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To slobber; drool.
- intransitive v. To behave in an obsequious manner; fawn. See Synonyms at fawn1.
- n. Saliva drooling from the mouth.
- n. Senseless and effusive talk; drivel.
- n. One, such as a person or ship, that is engaged in the trafficking of slaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To drool saliva from the mouth; to slobber.
- v. To fawn.
- n. saliva running from the mouth; drool
- n. a person engaged in the slave trade
- n. white slaver, who sells prostitutes into illegal 'sex slavery'
- n. a ship used to transport slaves
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vessel engaged in the slave trade; a slave ship.
- n. A person engaged in the purchase and sale of slaves; a slave merchant, or slave trader.
- intransitive v. To suffer spittle, etc., to run from the mouth.
- intransitive v. To be besmeared with saliva.
- transitive v. To smear with saliva issuing from the mouth; to defile with drivel; to slabber.
- n. Saliva driveling from the mouth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To suffer the saliva to dribble from the mouth; drivel; slabber.
- To besmear or defile with slaver or saliva; beslabber.
- n. Saliva driveling from the mouth; drivel.
- n. A ship or vessel engaged in the slave-trade.
- n. A person engaged in the slave-trade; a slave-hunter; a slave-dealer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who holds slaves
- n. a person engaged in slave trade
- v. let saliva drivel from the mouth
I realize that that's not what the author chose to focus on, but my God, choosing to base an identity politics ( "tragi") comedy on a slaver is about as misguided as the warm-family-tragicomedy-in-Nazi-death-camp peesashit "Life is Beautiful" was.
However, the slaver is impressed by his spirit and decides he shall be trained as a Tunnel Warrior for the upcoming war with the wombat-riding Warriors of Doom.
"The slaver is a ghost ship sailing on the edges of modern consciousness," Mr. Rediker writes.
The slaver was a darker silhouette against the night sky.
So I hope that we can increasingly stop talking about slaver, which is, frankly, largely irrelevant to most of us here today, and talk about how we can overcome our history, both positive and negative, in a fashion that builds a brighter future for Americans and Africans alike.
Singleton recalled a slaver, the crew of which had been brawling at the
Singleton recalled a slaver, the crew of which had been brawling at the Ship tavern a few nights before.
Shaws, adopted the boy and started him upon a slaver, that is a ship which does trade in negro slaves, my dear -- a pretty trade.
In 1648 a ship [hereinafter mentioned by Hunter] named the MAY-FLOWER was engaged in the slave trade, and the ill-informed as well as the ill-disposed have sometimes sneeringly alleged that this was our historic ship; but it is ascertained that the slaver was a vessel of three hundred and fifty tons, -- nearly twice the size of our ship of happy memory.
The ship that bore them thither was no longer called a slaver, and her cargo were not slaves.