from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A speck or small spot, as a natural dot of color on skin, plumage, or foliage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small spot or speck on the skin, plumage or foliage.
- n. The random distribution of light when it is scattered by a rough surface.
- v. To mark with speckles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little or spot in or anything, of a different substance or color from that of the thing itself.
- transitive v. To mark with small spots of a different color from that of the rest of the surface; to variegate with spots of a different color from the ground or surface.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mark with specks or spots; fleck; speck; spot.
- n. A little speck or spot; a speckled marking; the state of being speckled: as, yellow with patches of speckle.
- n. Color; hence, kind; sort.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. mark with small spots
- v. produce a mottled effect
- n. a small contrasting part of something
Thanks Laurie - it is a shame, whoever invents a way to keep the speckle will be my hero for life!
The ocean shore teemed with fish, crustaceans, and sea mammals, but one particular fish, called a speckle fish, was everyone's favorite.
SPR microscopy instruments driven by coherent illumination can suffer from dramatically reduced image quality due to interference effects, the so-called speckle artifact.
IC can form lacunas with diameters of up to several micrometers containing nuclear bodies such as speckle, Cajal and PML bodies
Even the teleporter has been upgraded -- say goodbye to the "speckle" and hello to the "swirl."
If a laser is projected onto such a surface the unique reflection can be captured as a unique "speckle" pattern by a digital camera and used as an identity.
The book is full of scientific observations of creatures such as the sea speckle, the red poison needle, the oleander, the bluebottle or coral.
Trees are snapped and the foundations of homes speckle the landscape.
Splatter, speckle, and stain your images in seconds with the iPhone app Goth Pix.
The less speckle face congressmen around the better.