from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A member of the hymenopterous family Sphecidæ.
- Having the characters of or belonging to the family Sphecidæ.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of or pertaining to the Sphecidae family of
- adjective of or pertaining to those wasps formerly classified in the Sphecidae before the discovery that bees belong to that group (now known as the order
Apoidea); the members of the current Apoideathat aren't bees, including other families such as the Crabronidae.
- noun A wasp in the Sphecidae family.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word sphecid.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.