from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to the sphenoid and the ethmoid bone; sphenethmoidal; ethmosphenoid: as, the sphenethmoid suture or articulation.
- Representing or combining characters of both sphenoid and ethmoid: as, the sphenethmoid bone.
- noun The sphenethmoid bone, as of the frog's skull: one of the cranial bones, situated in front of the parasphenoid. See
girdle-bone, and cuts under Anuraand Rana. Also spheno-ethmoid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The sphenethmoid bone.
- adjective (Anat.) Of or pertaining to both the sphenoidal and the ethmoidal regions of the skull, or the sphenethmoid bone; sphenethmoidal.
- adjective (Anat.) a bone of the skull which surrounds the anterior end of the brain in many amphibia; the girdle bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective anatomy Of or relating to the
sphenoidaland ethmoidalregions of the skull.
- noun anatomy A
boneof the skullthat surrounds the anteriorend of the brainin many amphibians.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Blend of sphenoid and ethmoid
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word sphenethmoid.
Mark on the skull with long needles and flag-labels the sphenethmoid and the pro-otic bones.
In front of the otic capsule is the paired pro-otic bone (p.o.); behind it at the sides of the parachordal ring is the paired ex-occipital (e.o.); in front of the cranium box, and behind the nasal capsules, is a ring of bone, the (median, but originally paired) sphenethmoid (s.e.).
The sphenethmoid is perhaps represented in part by the ethmoid.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.