from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A member of the lepidopterous family Sphingidæ.
- Having the characters of or belonging to the family Sphingidæ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to a sphinx, or the family
- noun (Zoöl.) A sphinx.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biology Any of many
hawk mothsof the family Sphingidae
- adjective Of or pertaining to these moths.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of various moths with long narrow forewings capable of powerful flight and hovering over flowers to feed
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From New Latin Sphingidae, family name, from Sphinx, type genus, from Latin, sphinx; see sphinx.]
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word sphingid.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.