from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A fly (Stomoxys calcitrans) that sucks the blood of domestic animals and humans.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The biting housefly, Stomoxys calcitrans, common to Europe and North America.
- noun Another fly, Cyrtoneura stabulans, common to Europe and North America.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of several medium-sized
fliesin the genusStomoxys, of the family Muscidae, that includes the houseflyfamily. The genus is unusual among members of that family, in that they suck blood from mammals.
- noun Stomoxys calcitrans.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word stable fly.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.