from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various plants of the genus Hypoxis, having grasslike leaves and star-shaped, white or yellow flowers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun perennial Australian grass having numerous long spikes arranged like the vanes of a windmill
- noun any plant of the genus Hypoxis having long grasslike leaves and yellow star-shaped flowers: Africa; Australia; southern Asia; North America
- noun any of several perennials of the genus Aletris having grasslike leaves and bitter roots reputed to cure colic
- noun trailing grass native to Europe now cosmopolitan in warm regions; used for lawns and pastures especially in southern United States and India
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word star grass.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.