from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In Australia, a plant of the lily family, Chamæscilla corymbosa.
- noun In Tasmania, Reya umbellata, an ornamental liliaceous plant having greenish-white flowers.
- noun A plant of the genus Ornithogalum, particularly O. umbellatum: so called from its starlike flowers, which are pure-white within.
- noun One of a few plants of other genera, as Stellaria Holostea and Hypericum calycinum.
- noun See also
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of several perennial plants of the genus Ornithogalum native to the Mediterranean and having star-shaped flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word star-of-bethlehem.
This lovely wildflower is known as star-of-bethlehem.
delicious asakiyume 2008
It's right by there that the star-of-bethlehem flowers are blooming.
miscellany asakiyume 2008
In a similar manner young slender roots well anchored in the soil, at or near the close of the growing season, pull downward and outward large numbers of bulblets that form around a parent bulb of some kinds of leeks, tulips, star-of-bethlehem, globe hyacinth, and monkshood.
Seed Dispersal 1878
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.