from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The art or process of engraving on a steel plate.
- n. An impression produced with an engraved steel plate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. engraving on a steel plate
- n. an impression taken from an engraved steel plate
- n. the act of engraving on a steel plate
Sorry, no etymologies found.
There was a row of photographs in silver frames upon the mantelpiece, and over it a steel engraving of Millais’ Black Brunswicker.
The publisher knew his public, so he gave a pound of book for every fifty cents, and crowded in plenty of wood-cuts and stamped the outside with golden bouquets and put in a steel engraving of the author, with a tissue paper veil over it, and "sicked" his multitude of broken-down clergymen, maiden ladies, grass widows, and college students on to the great American public.
* Eventually, a fine steel engraving was done from it by Mr. Stodart.