from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of stepping stone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stone to raise the feet above the surface of water or mud in walking.
- n. Fig.: A means of progress or advancement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A raised stone in a stream or in a swampy place designed to save the feet in walking.
- n. A horse-block.
- n. An aid or means by which an end may be accomplished or an object gained; an assistance to progress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stone in a marsh or shallow water that can be stepped on in crossing
- n. any means of advancement
Sorry, no etymologies found.
America is just a stepping-stone to interplanetary conquest.
"I'm pretty confident with my golf game right now after last week and I'm pretty comfortable on this golf course so I think it'll be a good stepping-stone for me."
The prime minister succeeded in pressing the British position that the war should continue in the Mediterranean with the invasion of Sicily by July as the stepping-stone for attacking Italy.
It's hardly uncommon for celebrities to use their fame as a stepping-stone to another career.
President Obama's space policy was a shift from that of his predecessor, President George W. Bush, who set a return to the Moon -- as a stepping-stone toward the planet Mars -- as the main goal.
Finally, there are the indie authors who see the success of their books as a potential stepping-stone to a traditional publishing deal.
A space mission to an asteroid may also be a stepping-stone to other deep space missions, including to the moons of Mars possibly captured asteroids themselves or even the Red Planet itself.
Financial executives speculate he would use the director post as a stepping-stone in his political career, seeking to collect a cache of industry scalps to bolster his chances in his next campaign.
Rather than viewing a major solely as a stepping-stone to a career, the university is pushing students to broaden their interests and explore more esoteric topics.
In fact, Lt. Governor has been pretty much an unmitigated stepping-stone to obscurity.