from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. to beat or flog, especially for extracting the fibres from flax stalks; to scutch
  • n. An implement used to separate the fibres of flax by beating them; a scutch

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A wooden instrument like a large knife, about two feet long, with one thin edge, used for beating and cleaning flax; a scutcher; -- called also swingling knife, swingling staff, and swingling wand.
  • intransitive v. To dangle; to wave hanging.
  • intransitive v. To swing for pleasure.
  • transitive v. To clean, as flax, by beating it with a swingle, so as to separate the coarse parts and the woody substance from it; to scutch.
  • transitive v. To beat off the tops of without pulling up the roots; -- said of weeds.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To clean, as flax, by beating and scraping with a swingle or swing-knife.
  • To cut off the tops of without pulling up the roots, as weeds.
  • To dangle; wave hanging.
  • To swing for pleasure.
  • n. A wooden instrument used for beating flax and scraping from it the woody parts. Also swing-knife, swingle-staff, swingling-knife or -staff.
  • n. That part of a flail which falls upon the grain in threshing; a swipple.
  • n. A kind of spoke or lever, like the hand-spike of a capstan, used in turning the barrel in wire-drawing.
  • n. One of the radiating arms by which the roller of a plate-press is turned.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.