from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A name given to bars or beams of iron or steel having a cross-section like that of a T-bar, except that the vertical flange corresponding to the stem of the T is thickened by an ovoid or elliptical reinforcement, making its cross-section resemble a vertical section of a bulb with an upwardly extending stem attached and filleted to the horizontal flanges of the bar or beam. Such bars or beams are used in ship-building and for other purposes.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.