from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various evergreen shrubs or small trees of the genus Leptospermum, native to Australia and New Zealand, having small, needlelike leaves and white, pink, or red flowers.
- n. Any of several Australian trees of the genus Melaleuca, especially M. alternifolia, whose leaves yield an oil used in various herbal preparations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tea plant, Camellia sinensis, from which black, green, oolong and white tea are all obtained.
- n. The tree Melaleuca alternifolia from which tea tree oil is obtained.
- n. A shrub or small tree native to New Zealand and southeast Australia, Leptospermum scoparium.
- n. The kanuka, Kunzea ericoides.
- n. The duke of Argyll's tea tree, Lycium barbarum, also known as wolfberry or matrimony vine.
- n. The shrub ti, Cordyline fruticosa.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the tea plant of China. See Tea plant, above.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common tea-plant or tea-shrub. See tea, 2.
- n. A name of various myrtaceous and other plants, chiefly of the genera Leptospermum and Melaleuca, found in Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand. See phrases below.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Many natural antimicrobials such as tea tree or oregano oil have been shown to work as well or better than synthetic ones without creating resistant bacteria as synthetics like trichlosan can.
Skin Ointment by Nutribiotic contains powerfully antibacterial grapefruit seed extract and tea tree oil, along with healing l-lysine, echinacea, bee propolis, honey, cajeput oil, calendula, and goldenseal in a natural base.
This lotion contains conifer-needle extract, tea tree oil, and Sea Buckthorn oil.
With no synthetic antiseptic chemicals to give rise to resistant bacteria natural antimicrobials are too complex for bugs to adapt to, this effective aloe and tea tree oil-based product is a great carry-along wherever kids and other concerns call for cleanup.