from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In architecture, a bonder or bond-stone; a stone placed across the breadth of a wall, so that one end appears in each face of the wall, as distinguished from a stone of which the greatest length is placed in the direction of the course of the wall; a perpend. Also thorough-stone.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Scottish and Northern English A horizontal slab acting as a gravestone


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word through-stone.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.