from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who lends money at interest, especially at an exorbitant or unlawfully high rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who loans money to others and charges interest, particularly at an illegal, exorbitant, or unfair rate.
- n. Specifically, a male usurer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who lends money and takes interest for it; a money lender.
- n. One who lends money at a rate of interest beyond that established by law; one who exacts an exorbitant rate of interest for the use of money.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who lent money and took interest for it.
- n. One who lends money at an exorbitant rate of interest; a money-lender who exacts excessive or inordinate interest. See usury.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who lends money at excessive rates of interest
A man may be a first-rate soldier, doctor, banker -- as we call the usurer now-a-days -- or brewer, orator, anything that leads up to a figure-head, and prove a foolish fellow if you sound him.
A man may be a first-rate soldier, doctor, banker -- as we call the usurer now-a
That the usurer is the greatest Sabbath – breaker, because his plough goeth every Sunday.
That the usurer is the drone, that Virgil speaketh of;
That the usurer is the greatest Sabbath breaker, because his plough goeth every
Usually, the usurer is a fourth party that stands yet behind the third party, taking no risks, demanding complete security for his loan and also an increase out of the products of the operators.
That the usurer is the drone that Virgil speaketh of:
That the usurer is the drone that Virgil speaketh of; Ignavum fucos pecus a præsepibus arcent.
That the usurer is the greatest Sabbath-breaker, because his plough goeth every Sunday.
It was not to deny that the man was an usurer, but to assert that the usurer was a man.