from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One of the wedge-shaped stones forming the curved parts of an arch or vaulted ceiling.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. One of a series of wedge-shaped bricks forming an arch or vault.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One of the wedgelike stones of which an arch is composed.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To form with voussoirs; construct by means of voussoirs.
  • n. In architecture, a stone in the shape of a truncated wedge, which forms part of an arch.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. wedge-shaped stone building block used in constructing an arch or vault


French, from Old French vossoir, from Vulgar Latin *volsōrium, from *volsus, past participle of Latin volvere, to turn, roll.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.