from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several anemones, especially Anemone quinquefolia of eastern North America or A. nemorosa of Eurasia, having deeply divided leaves and a showy, solitary, often white flower.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The wind-flower, Anemone nemorosa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Used as a common name of two plant species of the family
Ranunculaceae, Anemone nemorosa and Anemone quinquefolia.
- noun A parallel name for
snowdrop windflower(Anemone sylvestris).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun common anemone of eastern North America with solitary pink-tinged white flowers
- noun European anemone with solitary white flowers common in deciduous woodlands
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word wood anemone.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.