from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A set of small objects, necessary or useful, designed for a library-table, as inkstand, pen-tray, rack for pens, case for paper and envelops, portfolio holding blotting-paper, candlesticks, etc., and sometimes larger articles in which two or more of the above are combined. These objects are often made to correspond in material and design.
  • noun A set of the boxes, ink-stone, water-pot, etc., used in Chinese and Japanese writing, often of lacquer, or mounted in metal.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word writing-set.


  • 'He seems to have equipped himself with a very nice traveller's writing-set,' Helene mused, inspecting the handwriting. '

    See Delphi and Die


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.