from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swordfish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of fishes comprising the common swordfish.
- n. The constellation Dorado.
- n. A comet shaped like a sword.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of Xiphiidæ, now restricted to swordfishes without teeth or ventral fins, and thus exclusive of the sailfishes and spear-fishes (Histiophorus and Tetrapturus).
- n. In astronomy:
- n. A constellation made by Petrus Theodori in the fifteenth century, in the south pole of the ecliptic, and now named Dorado.
- n. [lowercase] In older authors, a sword-shaped comet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Xiphiidae
This is true swordfish, xiphias gladius, not to be confused with sawfish, pristis pectinata, which is a north Atlantic fish often sold as "swordfish steaks" in US restaurants.
Thanks to xiphias for pointing out this new cast page for Kestrel on Something Positive.
My household consisted entirely of silver and golden carp, but my guards were of the loyal and gentle, yet courageous and powerful xiphias (sword-fish).
Posted on Feb. 15th, 2010 06:16 pm UTC | Link | Thread | Reply xiphias