from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An Afrikaans-speaking South African of European ancestry, especially one descended from 17th-century Dutch settlers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an ethnic group of northwestern European ancestry and associated with southern Africa and the Afrikaans language.
- n. A breed of cattle, aka Afrikander.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white native of Cape Province who is a descendant of Dutch settlers and who speaks Afrikaans
- adj. belonging or relating to white people of South Africa whose ancestors were Dutch or to their language
Afrikaans, from Dutch, from Afrikaan, an African, from Latin Āfricānus, from Āfrica, Africa, from Āfer, Āfr-, an African.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)