from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The United States.
- The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The United States of America.
- proper n. The landmass now divided into the continents of North and South America.
- proper n. an idealized destination or object of one's ambition
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North America and South America and Central America
- n. North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
From Americus, Latinized form of the forename of Amerigo Vespucci (1451-1512), Italian explorer. (Wiktionary)