from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The sixth-largest continent, extending west from the Dardanelles, Black Sea, and Ural Mountains. It is technically a vast peninsula of the Eurasian land mass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The westernmost portion of Eurasia, traditionally considered a continent in its own right, located north of Africa, west of Asia and east of the Atlantic Ocean.
- proper n. A political entity; the European Union.
- proper n. International club competitions operated by UEFA, the sport's governing body for Europe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles
- n. an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members
- n. the nations of the European continent collectively
From Ancient Greek Εὐρώπη (Eurōpē). (Wiktionary)