from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A whirlpool off the Sicilian coast, opposite the cave of Scylla.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A dangerous whirlpool on the coast of Sicily opposite Scylla on the Italian coast.
- proper n. A personification of the above whirlpool as a female monster.
- proper n. A general term for any dangerous whirlpool
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dangerous whirlpool on the coast of Sicily opposite Scylla on the Italian coast. It is personified as a female monster. See Scylla.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See Scylla.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) a ship-devouring whirlpool lying on the other side of a narrow strait from Scylla
Sorry, no etymologies found.