from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology One of the three Fates, the spinner of the thread of destiny.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Oecobius, a genus of arachnids, wall spiders.
- proper n. The youngest of the three Fates, or Moirae, daughter of Zeus and Themis; the spinner of the thread of life
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology: A genus of mollusks.
- n. Agenus of tubitelarian spiders, of the family Agalenidœ: a synonym of Uroctea.
- n. A genus of venomous African serpents, of the family Viperidæ. C.
- n. A genus of humming-birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Greek goddess of fate who spins the thread of life
Greek Klōthō, from klōthein, to spin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Greek κλώθω (klotho), to spin. (Wiktionary)