from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The Afro-Asiatic language of the Copts, which survives only as a liturgical language of the Coptic Church.
- adj. Of or relating to the Copts, the Coptic Church, or the Coptic language.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Copts, Coptic Orthodox Church or to the Coptic language.
- n. The Coptic language of Egypt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Copts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Copts, as distinct from the Arabians and other inhabitants of modern Egypt. See II.
- n. A Copt.
- n. The language of the Copts, descended from the ancient Egyptian (of the Hamitic family of languages), and used in Egypt till within the last two centuries, but now superseded as a living language by Arabic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the liturgical language of the Coptic Church used in Egypt and Ethiopia; written in the Greek alphabet
- adj. of or relating to the Copts or their church or language or art
Sorry, no etymologies found.