from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A title and an office conferred on a male cleric by a pope.
- n. Roman Catholic Church Used as a form of address prefixed to the name of such a cleric.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ecclesiastic title bestowed on some Roman Catholic clerics by the Pope
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, a title conferred upon prelates, and upon the dignitaries of the papal court and household. Also, in the fuller Italian form, monsignore, plural monsignori. Abbreviated Mgr.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) an ecclesiastical title of honor bestowed on some priests
Italian, from French Monseigneur; see Monseigneur.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)