from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an ancient Iranian people whose homeland was in the area around Samarqand and who had established settlements throughout Chinese Turkistan before the advent of Islam.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The extinct Middle Iranian language of this people, known chiefly from texts and inscriptions dating from the second to the ninth centuries A.D.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to Sogdiana
- proper n. An extinct Middle Iranian language spoken around Sogdiana.
- n. A native of Sogdiana
Latin Sogdiānus, from Greek Sogdoi, Sogdians, from Old Persian Sug(u)da-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)