from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A member of the ethnically Scandinavian people around the borders of Constantinople in the ninth and tenth centuries.
- proper n. The imperial body guard at Constantinople from 955.
- proper n. A period of intense glaciation during the late Proterozoic eon.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Varangians.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Varanger Peninsula in Norway.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Northmen who founded a dynasty in Russia in the 9th century; also, one of the Northmen composing, at a later date, the imperial bodyguard at Constantinople.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Norse warriors who ravaged the coasts of the Baltic about the ninth century, and who (according to common account) overran part of Russia and formed an important element in the early Russian people.
Ultimately from Byzantine Greek Βάραγγος, from Old Norse Vǽringi. (Wiktionary)