from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To lower in rank, prestige, or esteem. See Synonyms at degrade.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To lower or depress; to throw or cast down.
- transitive v. To cast down or reduce low or lower, as in rank, office, condition in life, or estimation of worthiness; to depress; to humble; to degrade.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lower or depress, as a thing; bring down.
- To reduce or lower, as in rank, estimation, office, and the like; depress; humble; degrade.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of
Middle English abassen, from Old French abaissier : Latin ad-, ad- + Vulgar Latin *bassiāre (from Medieval Latin bassus, low).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)