from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To reduce in grade, rank, or status.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lower the rank or status of something.
- v. To relegate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To reduce to a lower grade or rank, as in the military, one's employment, or in school; to assign to a lower position.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To reduce to a lower grade or class: opposed to promote: as, to demote a boy for falling behind in his studies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. assign to a lower position; reduce in rank
de- + (pro)mote.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)