from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a sect who appeared in France and Spain in the 3rd century, and believed in abstinence towards meat and sex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Refraining from indulgence, especially from the indulgence of appetite; abstemious; continent; temperate.
- n. One who abstains.
- n. One of a sect who appeared in France and Spain in the 3d century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Refraining from undue indulgence, especially in the use of food and drink; characterized by moderation; abstemious.
- n. One who abstains or is abstinent; an abstainer.
- n. [capitalized] One of a sect which appeared in France and Spain in the third century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who refrains from drinking intoxicating beverages
- adj. self-restraining; not indulging an appetite especially for food or drink
From Middle English abstinent (adjective form). (Wiktionary)