from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The period of physical and psychological development from the onset of puberty to maturity.
- n. A transitional period of development between youth and maturity: the adolescence of a nation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The transitional period of physical and psychological development between childhood and maturity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of growing up from childhood to manhood or womanhood; youth, or the period of life between puberty and maturity, generally considered to be, in the male sex, from fourteen to twenty-one. Sometimes used with reference to the lower animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of growing; specifically, youth, or the period of life between puberty and the full development of the frame, extending in man from about the age of fourteen years to twenty-five, and in woman from twelve to twenty-one: applied almost exclusively to the young of the human race.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the time period between the beginning of puberty and adulthood
- n. in the state that someone is in between puberty and adulthood
From Middle English adolescence, from Old French adolescence, from Latin adolescentia, from adolescens ("young"); see adolescent. (Wiktionary)