from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by adulteration; spurious.
- adj. Unauthorized by law; illegal.
- adj. Born of adultery: adulterine offspring.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Spurious; due to adulteration.
- adj. Born of adultery.
- adj. Pertaining to adultery.
- adj. Illegal; unlicensed.
- n. One born of an adulterous union.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Proceeding from adulterous intercourse. Hence: Spurious; without the support of law; illegal.
- n. An illegitimate child.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of adulterous origin; born of adultery.
- Relating or pertaining to adultery; involving or implying adultery: as, adulterine fiction; adulterine marriage (used by St. Augustine of a second marriage after divorce).
- Characterized by adulteration; spurious; base: as, adulterine drugs or metals.
- Illegitimate; illicit; unauthorized: as, adulterine castles (castles built by the Norman barons in England, after the conquest, without royal warrant).
- n. In civil law, a child begotten in adultery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. conceived in adultery
Latin adulterīnus, from adulter, adulterer, perhaps back-formation from adulterāre, to pollute; see adulterate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin adulterinus (Wiktionary)