from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not native to and not fully established in a new habitat or environment; locally or temporarily naturalized: an adventive weed.
- n. An adventive organism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. adventitious
- adj. Of a plant that is not native, but was introduced by humans to a place and has since become naturalized.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Accidental.
- adj. Adventitious.
- n. A thing or person coming from without; an immigrant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- . Accidental; adventitious.
- Specifically In botany and zoology, only transient and locally spontaneous, not thoroughly naturalized: applied to introduced plants and animals.
- n. One who or that which comes from without; an immigrant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not native and not fully established; locally or temporarily naturalized
From Latin adventus, arrival; see advent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)